Certified Business Architect (CBA)® Program
The Business Architecture Guild offers a certification program that measures a business architect’s competencies and confers the designation of Certified Business Architect (CBA)® to those individuals who demonstrate recognized proficiency. An individual who has passed the certification exam will be designated as a Certified Business Architect® and be able to display the CBA® designation on their credentia.
Business architecture certification provides a wide range of benefits for the field, for businesses who benefit from the practice and for the individual practitioner. The CBA® program furthers the advancement of business architecture as a discipline and profession. The business architecture discipline and practice has moved well beyond the early growth years and is now being practiced and leveraged worldwide across a wide range of industries and organizations.The CBA® program reinforces this evolution and growth. The program additionally furthers the advancement of business architecture as a discipline and profession by formalizing the yardstick for professional competencies based on a defined framework and well-articulated set of practices.
The CBA® program benefits organizations in a variety of ways. It helps businesses:
- Define job descriptions for professionals practicing business architecture
- Assess job candidates, set internal standards and gauge employee performance
- Structure programs that enable practitioners to enhance their knowledge and job skill
- Formalize training and a growth path for practitioners
The CBA® program benefits individual practitioners as well. It enables the practitioner to:
- Demonstrate a high degree of competency in a rapidly growing field
- Increase his/her value in the overall marketplace
- Indicate that he/she has mastered certain skills that are valued by employer
- More effectively demonstrate the maturity and value of the profession to management and peers
Finally, the CBA® program demonstrates the Business Architecture Guild’s commitment to our overall mission and the worldwide community we serve. In order to do this, the Guild has established an exam that adheres to rigorous standards within the field. The CBA® program was developed based on the following:
- Formal framework in use on an industry-wide basis
- Formally vetted testing categories that covers a wide range of competencies
- Professional practitioner question writers and peer reviewers
- Reviews and vetting by industry experts and exam writing experts
- Formal psychometric reviews at various stages of evolution Beta testing and formal, statistical evaluation of beta results as input to the final exam
- Worldwide exam availability through Pearson VUE, a leader in certification exam delivery.
or continue reading for more information.
Another registration link is provided at the bottom of the page
The certification exam will consist of 150 questions drawn from industry literature, the Guild’s BIZBOK® Guide and practical application scenarios, presented in the following domains:
1. Business Architecture Foundational Concepts
2. Business Architecture Core Mapping Knowledge
3. Business Architecture Extended Mapping Knowledge
4. Business Architecture Alignment with Related Business Disciplines
5. Business Architecture & Business Performance Analysis
6. Business Architect Role
7. Business Architecture Governance
8. Business Architecture & IT Architecture Alignment
9. Business Architecture Situation & Scenario Usage
10.Business Architecture Infrastructure Management
For those interested in preparing for the exam, we recommend the following:
Read/Study A Guide to the Business Architecture Body of Knowledge® (BIZBOK® Guide), version 8.0 or later
Attend live and view recorded webinars presented by the Business Architecture Guild
Review the BIZBOK® Guide endnote reference material
Attend professional training courses on exam topic areas See our Guild Accredited Training partners GATP® under Resources
Gain hands-on experience developing and applying business architecture
NEW!! Study guide and dedicated discussion forums
Note: The Guild itself does not offer training programs at this time. We do accredited Training partners, whose courses are aligned to the BIZBOK® Guide For more information, and how to find or become a Guild Accredited Training Partner™ (GATP®)), click here, Please read our policy on Use of Unauthorized training material.
- Certified Business Architect® exam candidates must be Business Architecture Guild members in good standing*
- The Certified Business Architect® program is owned and managed by the Business Architecture Guild.
- The Guild observes best practices in certification management and therefore does not provide statistics such as passing scores or percentages
- The Guild complies with privacy laws and protects the privacy of member and CBA® personal data such as address or location
- Candidates passing the exam will remain certified for a period of 3 years with Continuing Education Unit (CEU) credits earned during that timeframe towards renewal
- CEU credits may be earned through offerings such as webinars, third party training offerings and other items identified on the CEU page
- Candidates passing the certification exam will receive a certificate suitable for framing and be able to use the Certified Business Architect® and CBA® designation
- In the event of a dispute arising by any action of the Guild which would result in a candidate not being certified, the following process is invoked:
* Guild membership is required because our intention is to build a committed community of practitioners who are dedicated to the business architecture discipline and its usage—not just test takers. In addition, the resources offered to Guild members such as the BIZBOK® Guide and webinars are critical to preparing and maintaining one’s certification.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
For more information and a form for contacting the Certification Team, follow this link
Certified Business Architect (CBA)® Registration
Continuing Education Unit (CEU) Program
The Certified Business Architect (CBA)® program certifies an individual as competent in the field of business architecture for a period of three years from date of issuance of the CBA®. During this period of time, individuals having achieved CBA® status will be required to maintain certification status by logging continuing education unit (CEU) credits.
Certified Business Architect (CBA)® Professional Directory
The Business Architecture Guild is very proud to list business architects certified under our program. Please note that some certified professionals choose not to be listed in this directory due to company policy or personal preference.
Thank you for considering our certification program. It is the only certification program for business architects aligned to a practitioner created and vetted body of knowledge, A Guide to the Business Architecture Body of Knowledge® (BIZBOK® GUIDE)